History

The first organization was a Local Improvement district. The first meeting was held on January 10, 1910 and those present were Julius Joel and John Bartley of Elbow; G.H. Potts of Loreburn; O.N. Akre and John Finnerty of Strongfield; and W.H. Jay of Hawarden. A referendum was held on August 30, 1910 and the resulting vote favored the formation of a municipality. The first council meeting was held on December 10, 1910 and consisted of Reeve G.H. Potts and councilors Julius Joel, John Bartley, Ed Book, O.N. Akre, W.H. Jay and John Finnerty. R.A. Thompson was the first secretary and the first meeting was held at the Reis’ Hotel in Loreburn.

The boundaries of the municipality extend from two miles north of Hawarden, two miles south of Elbow, west to the Diefenbaker Lake and east 7 miles from Highway 19. In area it comprises Townships 25, 26, 27 and 28, in Ranges it includes 4, 5, and 6 except in township 28 where it just includes range 5, and in township 27 where it includes range 7.

During the 1960’s the building of the Gardiner Dam on the South Saskatchewan River brought many changes to the countryside and also to farming practices in the area. The creation of Lake Diefenbaker made irrigation a new agricultural option. It also made the area a beautiful tourist location.

For a list of former country schools, please click here.